Artist Led Workshops [ ALW ]: Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Artist Led Workshops and Studio Rental?
Artist Led Workshop:
- Open to artists who would like to lead a workshop.
- Artists are required to submit an online application and meet certain eligibility requirements.
- Open to artists, individuals or artist groups interested in private studio rental to conduct their art practice (restrictions apply)
- Rental application must be completed.
- NUMU collects rent from artist/group, based on a rate schedule.
- Studio rental agreements are for art-making purposes ONLY.
* NOTE: For all other studio rental requests, please refer to NUMU's "Rent the Museum" facility rental program (e.g., hosting parties, corporate events, meetings, etc.)
How do I promote my workshop?
The ALW program is a collaboration between NUMU and practicing artists who are interested in teaching workshops and classes. The success of these programs is built on a strong collaborative marketing and promotional platform between the artist and the museum. Successful ALW instructors proactively promote their workshops and grow their student base through a variety of marketing channels - social media, email news blasts, flyers, word-of-mouth, etc. NUMU will provide marketing support but instructors must take the marketing lead to secure student participation in their workshops.
What if I’ve never led a workshop? Can I still apply?
Yes. However, there are advantages to having led workshops in the past, developing a curriculum and promoting your workshops.
What are the basic steps to becoming a NUMU workshop instructor?
The steps are as follows:
- Complete and submit application
- Meet with ALW Program Coordinator
- Upon invitation, work out details and logistics of workshop
- Sign contract.
- Promote your workshop!
- Deliver excellent instruction.
Is there an application fee?
No! As a non-profit organization, NUMU strives to promote arts within the Bay Area across the board.
Can my workshop be cancelled?
Yes, workshops will be cancelled if a minimum registration quota is not met, as agreed upon in contract.
When can I lead a workshop at NUMU? Is there a workshop schedule?
The NUMU workshop schedule varies month to month, indicate your preferences in your application and we will coordinate from there.
How often can I teach a workshop at NUMU?
If you can meet eligibility requirements, as often as you wish! (schedule permitting)
# # #